Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Concerned Nazarenes: A Teaser

I'm currently working on a extend response to the issues surrounding the Church of the Nazarene and the Concerned Nazarenes. Here's a little teaser for you:


I predicate this blog on the fact that there are times when the message of the Concerned Nazarenes and also the responses to them hinder the work of Christ. There are times when discussions happen in open-air venues that paint the Church as a community of division. This needs to stop.

There have been some who have tried to respond. Some have done so well, and others have done so poorly. Typically the responses aimed at CNs are concerning their militant attitudes of who's right and who's wrong - which is antithetical to the dynamic and dialogical character of the Church of the Nazarene. However, many of these responses have been less than helpful. And so the cycle continues: the CNs accuse from a theological lens that is foreign to the Church of the Nazarene and the Church of the Nazarene responds about the nature of the responder's character.

I have tried several times to discuss this controversy in more objective ways (although, admittedly not entirely without bias), looking at the conversation from both a theological and biblical perspective. My hope has been to cast light onto the fact that the controversy is because the CNs and the CotN have two different understandings of Scripture and this is what makes it difficult for them to communicate civilly when one another...

Be looking for this treatise in its entirety later this month.


2 comments:

  1. I was wondering why you sign your posts and refer to yourself as "Pastor".

    The only time the word is ever used in the Bible is in Eph 4:11-
    And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers.

    The Greek word for pastor is poimen, and means "a shepherd (literally or figuratively): - shepherd, pastor".

    You can read through the numerous places where "shepherd" is found.

    The pastors or shepherds in the new testament church were the "elders" of the congregation, not solely preachers.

    You can read in 1 Timothy 3:1–7 and Titus 1:5–9 for the qualifications to be a pastor and see if you qualify. While I don't know you personally, if I judge from the posts on your twitter about your daughter, I would guess not.

    I find this to be one of the many overlooked and unquestioned items in "The Church of the Nazarene" and the more I learn, the less I want to know. The church is consistently putting theology over the Bible in attempts to be more politically correct, appeal to non-Christians, allow things in worship that are not displayed by the new testament church, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous. After reading your comment, I feel like you may have misunderstood something I have posted or tweeted. I'm sorry if I have been unclear.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?