Friday, May 14, 2010

The Church's Funny Business

To all of my avid readers (perhaps 5 of you), I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with my Monday schedule. The last two weeks have been full of family, travels, and class time. Hopefully I'll be back on track next week.

I want to share some initial thoughts on a project and article I will be working on this summer and hear what you have to say about them.

This week I have meet with several business people in the Kansas City Metro. Their backgrounds are diverse: Christian/Non-Christian, black/white, male/female, construction/banking/entertainment/retail/restaurant, and so on. I learned a lot of great things from them.

There was one reoccurring theme I heard from all of them about the church. It can be summed up in the words of the first business man I met, "I have been pretty disappointed with the local church." It seems that those with entrepreneurial dispositions and creative abilities have not been able to find room in the church. The fear-of-risk conservatism and the semi-gnostic dislike of anything named "secular" (like business and financial success) have choked the God-given gifts and talents of these business people. Many of them attend church out of obligation, have left the local church and started their own Bible fellowship, or just left the church (and Christianity) all together.

Is this the Church's fault or their fault?
What can be done to make room in the church for successful business people?

1 comment:

  1. The Church is opposite of a business. Businesses serve those who can pay and cut ties with those who cannot. The Church serves God best by serving the poor. Here's the painful truth... Not everyone likes serving the poor! Often times financial success widens the gap a person must bridge to serve the poor. I think you've talked to those people this week. I can't believe that a pastor or congregation wouldn't want a talented successful person to join them. I doubt their local church disliked them or choked their gifts in any way. I'm more inclined to think their own attitudes caused them to walk away from attending and participating in the Church.

    I'm cynical perhaps... If you're trying to attract and make room in the church for successful business people, your going to have to make some upgrades. We'll need an espresso bar, new carpet, air freshners in the bathrooms, and more paid employees because I'm getting tired of all this volunteering stuff! That's why God gave me a fat wallet, so I can pay someone else to do it.

    I'm joking sort of. I don't at all think success is bad. Happily, our Church has many successful business people who have a servants heart.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?