Thursday, March 11, 2010

Democrats, Christians, and Republicans

I came across this video today. He's a Christian comedian, and I think a lot of his routines are pretty funny. This video really made me think though. It is funny, just like the rest of his material. But, I'm not sure how I feel about it.



I admit that I am especially sensitive to this recently. In the past several months, as I have heard people call President Obama "the antichrist" (which is not a very biblically accurate title to begin with, see comments below for more information) and also compare his health care plan to Adolf Hitler' Third Reich. Now, I am the first to confess that I am not a democrat. Nor am I a Republican. I will also admit that I have some faith-issues with the President's health care plan. But seriously, should Christians be talking this way about a person who is made in the Image of God? Wouldn't we all agree that President Obama is honestly trying his best to make this nation better? Even if he's going in the wrong direction, he's trying. Do we think that, because he's president it means that God does not care if we tell dirty jokes about him or talk about him behind his back? Does he not need God just like you and I do. Is he a worse sinner than you or me?

I did some traveling with a school principal a couple of years ago. We were teaching English to children in Kazakhstan. There was one child who kept misbehaving. My principal friend kept telling him "Be part of the solution, not part of the problem." This didn't translate well, and made no sense to the child. However, I think it's pertinent to this situation. Christians, to you I say "Be part of the solution, not part of the problem."

Our bi-partisan government really is not efficient. Decisions are about political lines and not about moving forward. It's true that the majority of Evangelical Christians align themselves with the Convervative Right. I hate to break it to you, but the Republicans don't always reflect the biblical principles that God desires of His followers. I seem to find in Hebrews 11 (among MANY other places) that we're not supposed to hold on to our citizenship here. We're part of another country -- the Kingdom of God. We are not to align ourselves with the powers of the world, but with the Power of God.

I thought of this passage after seeing this video:

Romans 13:1-7 (New International Version)
Romans 13
Submission to the Authorities
1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. (http://www.biblegateway.com/)

1 comment:

  1. About the "Antichrist:"

    All I have to say is that the Left Behind series did not really represent the biblical idea of the antichrist with much accuracy. Books could be written about this, but I will simply refer you to 1 John 2:18-27 to begin with. In this passage you will see that there are "many antichrists" and some have already come. This idea is in direct contradiction to the concept presented in Left Behind and the comments made about our President.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?