Monday, February 22, 2010

Knowing God


Dr. Daniel Spaite, M.D. came and spoke at church yesterday. Some of you may know his name, others probably don't. He's a Nazarene and a member of the General Board for the denomination. He also authored (with Goodwin) Time Bomb in the Church: Defusing Pastoral Burnout.

Yesterday, though, he did not speak only to pastors. He spoke to Christians. The title of his message was "What Does Sabbath have to do with ME?" He spoke a lot of truth and through him came conviction to a lot of people. It was a good day in the House of God.

Here's a question that God has been asking me since his message:

"You've been spending a lot of time doing the work of the church and studying theology, but have you really been spending time with me?"

I can't help but think of the conversation between Jesus and Peter at the end of John 21. Jesus three times asks Peter "do you love me." Oswald Chambers, in My Utmost for His Highest points out that this is a poignant question. A question that pierces into the inner most part of the heart. But Simon didn't...couldn't answer with "yes, can't you see what I've done for you." It was simply "yes, you know that I love you."

Do you love Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?