Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Knowledge of God

Sunday I preached on Genesis 22 -- Abraham tested to sacrifice Isaac.

The sermon was all about faith in God's provision. Faith is acting in the knowledge that God provides in the impossible. One thing that I did not address though was God's (through the angel) response when he saw that Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son. "Now I know..."

Terrence Fretheim pointed up this verse in his commentary on Genesis. Why would God say "now I know?" Wouldn't he already know? If God was all-knowing, why would he need to test any of us? How can we accept the principle of an omniscent God on one hand and true free will on the other?

I have been fighting through this for nearly two years now and have come to peace with a few things. But I want to hear what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?