Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What is vanity?

One thing that I've learned over time is that I have expensive tastes. I've told myself that it's just coincidental that the thing that I want happens to be the most fashionable, or expensive, or unique. I want a Samsung LED 120 hz TV, I want a VOX AC 30 amp, and a nice surround system, I want 3 nice dress shirts from express (because their dress shirts fit me the best, and I want a new cd playing alarm clock with a red back light because my blue one is too bright.

Have you ever made a list of all the THINGS you want to buy?

I have
It's scary

At want point are my desires for these things justifiable?

If I'm still giving money to charities, paying my tithe, and saving money for the future, am I then allowed to have these nice things?

Clearly, only a few of the things I WANT are necessities, so where is the line?

How do we know when it's okay to splurge?

2 comments:

  1. I've been struggling with that a lot too! My wife and I are both full-time students living on 3 part-time salaries. We often make a list of "wants."

    I don't really know the answer to this question. I know that I live in a community where families don't even have enough money to pay their utility bills and buy food for their family. It makes it a lot harder to justify "splurging" when I'm trying to minister to families who are in such need.

    I think that God wants us to be good stewards of the money we have...whether that's a $10k or $100k salary. Not that we should reward ourselves for being good givers, but the important thing is our hearts. God looks at our intentions.

    I don't have a good answer to where this line is: when is it okay to buy nice/expensive things? I do know that we should definitely not be buying these things if giving our tithes and offerings to God and we are able to afford some of the necessities of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my home we have an understanding. If we can't pay cash for it - we do not need it. Our church, our charities, our living expense, and children always come first.. we also save for our future... can never start too young. I do believe in splurging but have the cash to do it with and try your best not to go into debt.
    Enjoying your blog.
    Love,
    kelly

    http://www.amazingsalvation.com

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?