Thursday, January 29, 2009

Does God Really Take Care of Everybody?

Last night at our Wednesday night Bible Study, one woman had a praise, "Thank you God for taking care of my daughter." I think that we've all prayed prayers similar to this one.

This particular case made me think though. This woman told the story about her daughter traveling during bad weather and making it home safely. She also shared, I think to illustrate the treacherous conditions, that someone else was not so fortunate and lost her life in an accident.

My wife leaned over to me and asked, "Does that mean that God does not take care of those who don't make it home safely?" She asked this not as a poor reflection of the individual sharing the testimony but as a deep theological question.

Can we determine whom God has taken care of based on who makes it home safely? If not, why do we pray and converse like that?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if accidents like that are consequences of our decisions, consequences of the nature of the world we live in, or something actively instigated by God. I am sure, however, that we can't determine who God has taken care of based on who makes it home safely. I think the prayer is more of an acknowledgement of the blessings and grace that we receive from God. It seems to me that we should praise God regardless of the circumstances we find ourselves in (like Job) but it's still a lot easier to praise when it seems we are better off than someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes god takes care of everybody. Even the sinners we are god childern. He loves everyone the same no less or more. Read The Shack. It will open your mind.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?